School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University
Graduate School of Education - George Mason University

Our Graduate School of Education is the alma mater for one third of teachers and administrators in Northern Virginia’s world-class school systems. Each year, more than 3,000 graduate students enroll in our innovative academic programs, which include advanced study for teachers and school leaders, instructional design and technology, and a renowned PhD in Education program that is among the largest in the country.


School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University

The School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism (SRHT) offers exciting, career-ready majors in dynamic fields such as athletic training, tourism and events management, health and physical education, kinesiology, sport management, and recreation management. SRHT features renowned faculty, cutting-edge research, six laboratories and centers, and a diverse student body of more than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Each major requires one or more internship or clinical experiences, ensuring that students graduate not just with a transcript but with a resume that demonstrates their professional aptitude and skills.

Skip local navigation

Stay Connected

View us on Twitter View us on Instagram

Athletic Training is an allied health profession recognized by the American Medical Association since 1990.

What is an Athletic Trainer?

Athletic trainers are specialists in the area of sports medicine. Sports medicine is a general term that refers to a very broad scope of care and services that are necessary to maintain the overall health and performance of those who are physically active or who participate in sports.

What do Athletic Trainers Do?

Certified Athletic Trainers provide care for athletes and those who are physically active within six areas of clinical practice: prevention; immediate care; clinical evaluation and diagnosis; treatment, rehabilitation, and reconditioning; organization and administration; and professional responsibility.

Where do Athletic Trainers Work?

Athletic trainers can practice in a variety of settings. Currently, athletic trainers primarily work in public and private collegiate and secondary educational settings, hospitals, sports medicine clinics, and physician offices. Other settings include fitness and recreational sports centers, industry, and the military.

What Is the Job Demand?

The U.S. Department of Labor predicts employment of athletic trainers is expected to grow by 30 percent from 2010 to 2020, much faster than the average for all occupations. As people become more aware of sports-related injuries at a young age, demand for athletic trainers is expected to increase, most significantly in schools and youth leagues.

What Are the Salaries?

Typical entry-level salaries for athletic trainers can range from $34,000 to $45,000. However, the starting salary for athletic trainers varies widely based on practice setting and geographic location. Nearly 70% of all athletic trainers pursue an advanced degree in Athletic Training or a related field. Salaries for athletic trainers with advanced degrees range from approximately $40,000 to $80,000. For more information please refer to the NATA Salary Survey

Why should I choose the Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) at George Mason University?

As George Mason University is located in a large and diverse metropolitan region, we provide our students with high quality educational experiences in a wide variety of practice settings. Furthermore, our unique geographic location, resources, and faculty expertise help us to provide students with some of the best pediatric and performing arts sports medicine experiences nationally.

Is the ATEP accredited?

George Mason University’s Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).

Who are the faculty in the program?

All faculty members of the ATEP are State-Licensed and Nationally-Certified Athletic Trainers (see ATEP faculty page). The faculty members combine teaching excellence, clinical experience, and research expertise to provide students with a high quality professional education. The ATEP also provides students the unique educational opportunity to apply classroom knowledge in numerous work settings under direct supervision of Approved Clinical Instructors. In addition, the adjunct faculty affiliated with the ATEP includes professionals from a variety of health care fields, including Physicians, Certified Athletic Trainers, Pharmacists, Physical Therapists, Nutritionists, and Psychologists.

How are students admitted to the ATEP?

All students declaring Athletic Training as a major are admitted into the pre-professional phase of the program (typically freshmen). To progress into the professional phase of the program, students must continuously maintain a minimum within-major GPA of 3.0 or greater.

How many clinical hours are required to complete the ATEP, and how many hours are students expected to complete per week?

Clinical experiences are linked to Clinical Education courses in the ATEP. Students begin formal clinical education during the professional phase of the program (level two) (typically sophomore year). Students will complete five clinical experiences associated with each Clinical education course. Hourly requirements for students' clinical education experiences will vary depending on their level in the program and the specific clinical education course in which the student is enrolled. Each clinical education course and clinical experience is designed to build upon students' previous course work and experiences. Generally, students complete a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 20 hours per week of clinical experience each semester.

Where are clinical experiences located? Will I need a car?

Clinical education experiences can be located on campus or off campus. Students should anticipate spending a minimum of two semesters gaining clinical experience at an off-campus site. Students can rely on public transit for traveling to their clinical sites. Some clinical sites may require access to a vehicle.

What courses am I required to take while completing the ATEP?

Please refer to Degree Requirements for a complete program of study.

What physically active individuals do Athletic Training Students interact with?

Athletic Training Students gather their professional experiences in a variety of settings both on and off campus. These experiences include working with George Mason University varsity athletic teams and working with Certified Athletic Trainers and other allied health professionals in on-campus and area clinics, as well as local secondary schools. Additional opportunities include interacting with patients and clinicians in Student Health Services, Physician's Office' Hospitals and Emergency Care Facilities.

Can I transfer to GMU and complete the ATEP?

Transfer students are welcome into the ATEP. However, transfer students must satisfy standards identical to all other Athletic Training Students within the ATEP. These standards include documented completion of all pre-requisite coursework with a letter grade of C or better, and a within-major GPA of 3.0 or greater. Transfer students typically require a minimum of 6 semesters to complete the Athletic Training Education Program. Students considering transferring are encouraged to contact ATEP Director Amanda Caswell ( for additional information.

Can I participate in intercollegiate athletics and be ATEP major?

The ATEP encourages students to participate in intercollegiate athletics. However, students must be aware that balancing both athletic and ATEP commitments is challenging and requires self-discipline and dedication. Students considering athletic participation are required to contact the Coordinator of Clinical Education, Candace Parham ( to discuss their future academic plans and formulate an individualized progression prior to beginning the professional phase of the program.

Can I work and be in the ATEP?

It is very difficult for students to have full time employment and complete the ATEP. While some students may be able to find employment with flexible scheduling, work activities must not conflict with the ATEP requirements.

Will I be required to complete clinical education experiences in the summer or during holiday breaks?

The ATEP does not require students to participate in clinical experiences when classes are not in session. However, opportunities for valuable clinical experiences may exist when classes are not in session. In such cases, students may voluntarily participate in clinical experiences, with prior approval of the clinical supervisor and the Coordinator of Clinical Education.

Can I minor in Athletic Training?

No, there is no Minor in Athletic Training.

Where can I expect to obtain employment after graduation?

Students entering the work force following graduation typically find employment in sports medicine clinics, secondary schools, colleges, professional sports, and industry.

Click here for contact information for the SRHT Career Services Liaison.