Education, PhD - Concentration in Kinesiology
The PhD in Education - Kinesiology concentration prepares graduates for careers in research and teaching at universities as well as for careers in industry.
This program is pending SCHEV approval.
Program StructureThe program requires a minimum of 85 credits of study beyond the baccalaureate degree or a minimum of 55 credits beyond the master's degree. However, an individual's program typically requires 10 more credits depending on the person's goals, program requirements, and previous preparation. Students have five years to complete all course work and the portfolio reviews. Five additional years are allowed to complete the dissertation. Most students complete the entire program in five or six years.
General Culture (3 credits)
- EFHP 860: Critical Perspectives in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (3 credit hours) (Course should be taken 1st semester)
Research Methods (15 credits)
- EDRS 810: Problems and Methods in Education Research (3 credit hours)
- EDRS 811: Quantitative Methods in Educational Research (3 credit hours)
- EDRS 812: Qualitative Methods in Educational Research (3 credit hours)
- EDRS 821: Advanced Applications of Quantitative Methods (3 credit hours)
- EDRS 831: Structural Equation Modeling (3 credit hours)
Professional Specialization (24 credits)
- EFHP 810: Neuromuscular Responses to Exercise (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 811: Motor Learning and Control (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 813: Musculoskeletal Biomechanics in Human Movement (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 815: Measurement Techniques and Instrumentation (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 820: Careers in the Academy Seminar (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 825: Data Analytics in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 840: Doctoral Seminar in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (3 credit hours)
- EFHP 880: Grant Writing (3 credit hours)
Experiential Learning (18 credits)
- KINE 890: Research Experience I (6 credit hours)
- KINE 891: Research Experience II (3 credit hours)
- KINE 897: Independent Study (6 credit hours)
Select an additional 3 credits with advisor approval.
Dissertation (12 credits)
- KINE 998: Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (1 - 6 credit hours) (*)
- KINE 999: Doctoral Dissertation Research (1 - 12 credit hours) (**)
* Students must register for 3 credits the first semester enrolled KINE 998 Doctoral Dissertation Proposal. Students preparing their proposal must register for 1 credit each semester thereafter until the proposal has been successfully defended.
**Students must register for 3 or 6 credits the first semester enrolled in KINE 999 Doctoral Dissertation Research and must register for at least 1 credit thereafter until all work has been completed including the semester in which the degree is conferred.